Friday, February 3, 2012

Common Ground

This picture is of sweet Mehya and I with a present she gave me today.


Mehya and I have a special bond, adoption. Mehya was adopted from Korea and was one of my students in reading last year. Her mom is a teacher at my school, and told Mehya our news one day. I love how she connects Mehya with her special story! One day when walking down the hall, she had asked me if I had a baby. I told her no, but didn't go any further than that. I didn't realize that her mom had told her that I have a baby growing in my heart like her mommy did. Well, when I found that out, it melted my heart. Just a week or so ago, I saw Mehya again and she asked about the baby again. We had a great conversation and she went on to ask if I had a picture. I told her not yet, but maybe soon. Then she pointed to my heart, and I said yes, the picture is in my heart. Melt again.


Today, Mehya stopped by my room with a gift bag shouting my name. (Those who know her, you can imagine that sweet Kernersville/Korean slang she has) I asked her who it was from, and she just smiled a big grin and said....it's a secret. I asked if it was from her, and she said...I gotta go. Bye! I kept it on my desk unopened for a while. I thought it was from my Secret Pal.


When I opened it, the card read: "This is a little something for the baby growing in your heart." Love, Mehya


Then I opened the tissue paper to find a sweet little plaque that said: "Baby~Sometimes the smallest things take up the most room in your heart." It is beautiful...enter tears and a big smile.


After school, I went to her mom's room and thanked her for the gift. She was so excited. I told her that I was going to put it in the nursery, and that I would take a picture of it and show her. We took our picture together and hugged!




Thank you, Mehya for this heartfelt gift!

No comments: